When the pandemic started and the country went under lockdown, it was difficult for everyone. The economy of Malaysia took a bad hit. Under lockdown, most shops were ordered to be closed or were put under strict SOPs. People were not allowed to go out to buy things that weren’t essential. This drives the progress of online shopping to a faster rate.
Who doesn’t love shopping? During the pandemic, shopping has become easier for people. Everything you want or need can be bought with just a click. Every item you like is within reach without the hassle of traveling. But what could be the downside? The packages that will arrive will go through a lot of transfers and processes before they reach you. There is a slight chance that one of the workers could be infected by Covid-19 which can be transferred to you. Be it the delivery man or the workers working in the packaging facilities.
Is it possible for Coronavirus to be transferred through packages? Could the packages be putting your life at risk? Or is it just a myth? According to Premier Health Vice President of Quality and Safety Dr. Colón, the chances of the coronavirus being transmitted through packages is low. However, one can never be too careful. Therefore, he advised the general public to take precautions when a package is being delivered.
What are the precautions that can be taken when a package arrives? As suggested by Dr. Colón when the packages arrive, it is better to give it a quick wipe down with disinfectant wipes. Also, make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with hand wash after wiping the packages. Other precautions that can be taken are:
- If food is being delivered, transfer the food from the packaging to a plate or box. Then discard the packaging. Make sure to wash your hands properly.
- For food delivery, make sure that you ask the postman or the delivery person for contactless delivery. This way there will be less contact with the delivery person and lessen the chances of the virus transmission.
- Ask the postman to deliver your items in your mailbox to maintain social distancing.
- If possible, discard the packaging of the parcel outside your home in the garbage room and bring the packaging inside.
- Keep the parcel in an isolated room for a few hours.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Get your vaccines.
It seems like the coronavirus will be a part of our life for a long time. All we can do is take precautions by washing our hands, getting vaccinated, and maintaining social distance. The rest is on our fate. Also, do not forget to sanitize your packaging. Take precautions and soon we can defeat this deadly virus and can go back to our normal life.
We can go back to our normal life…
written by: Hebah Muhammad, Ahmad Nuruddin Bin Azhar